I had the pleasure of attending the 33rd annual Goodguys “West Coast Nationals” show (presented by BASF) at the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton on the weekend of August 24-25, 2019. Despite some blistering hot weather, the Goodguys Car Show was an incredible time! Here are some of the highlights of this Pleasanton Car Show:
- The title of “America’s Most Beautiful Street Rod,” presented by BASF, went to this fantastic 1936 Ford Roadster built by Pinkee’s Rod Shop. Take a look at the pictures of this beauty here. Other finalists included a ’32 Ford three-window coupe, ’32 Ford Roadster, ’32 Ford five-window coupe, and ’31 Ford Victoria.
- The Muscle Car of the Year finalist went to a ’66 Shelby Mustang, and Scott Rods Truck of the Year went to a ’50 Chevy pickup. The Fuel Curve pick was a ’63 Impala wagon, and the Gazette pick was a ’27 Roadster.
- There were well over 3,000 gorgeous hot rods, customs, classics, muscle cars, and other delights shown off over the event. Some of my favorites? How about this 1969 Shelby GT500, as highlighted by the Classic Mustangs 429 account. Also loved this Chevelle and this 1955 Chevrolet truck. You couldn’t go wrong with any of the beauties that were out there at the show.
- The Goodguys “AutoCross” competition took place – this one called the “West Coast Shootout.” This was a fantastic and exciting 16-car field. Mike Maier won the PRO-X/PRO shootout, Ken Yeo won the Street Machine, Truck, and Hot Rod shootout, and Scott Fraser won the All American Sunday shootout. All three won in Corvettes!
- Plenty of fantastic vendor exhibits, a huge vendor midway, and lots of cars for sale. Along with that, I got to attend the “Pinstripers Bush Bash,” an indoor Cushman display, and an indoor race car and Bonneville race car display. I also loved going to the Goodguys Paint n’ Sip, with the grateful assistance of Pinot’s Pallette of Livermore.
- One of the coolest things about the entire show? The WEME (Western Engine and Model Exhibition) miniature engine display. Quite amazing stuff.
On to the next event!